Tuesday 21 October 2008

Week 2

History and Theory

This lesson we learned about film form and genre it was interesting learning about all the different styles of film such as German Expressionist and French impressionism and their characteristics. I also found it interesting talking about genre and how some films have more than one such as Star Wars. I wouldn't have thought of it being a western before this lecture I just thought it was Sci-Fi.

I really enjoyed Screening as we watched the The Iron Giant which i never saw before but had wanted to for ages. I loved the film and felt really sad when the iron giant sacrificed himself for the village but he lived!! yay. I loved all the characters in the film especially the guy who lives in the scrape yard i found him very funny. The characters in the film really connect with you which makes it a lot more emotional.

2D Animation

We started off by learning about squash and stretch and we had to draw a ball bouncing up and down. I learnt that i need to make sure that the volume of the ball stays the same throughout the animation. I am pleased with my outcome however it could have been better as the ball looks like it is being pushed down instead of it falling naturally.




We then moved on to learn about anticipation and we had to draw a cube shaped character jumping from a ledge and show the character building up to jumping so that it shows anticipation. For my animation i added the character to flap his arms a little so there was a pause before he fell. I think i needed to add more of a build up to the jump.





Life Drawing

From this lesson i found that i need to work on my proportions. As the lesson went on i found it easier to draw and they looked more acurate. I need to practise drawing faces as i find them difficult and at the moment they are not very detailed. I also need to work on hands and feet as with some of my sketches i leave the toes out and they look like flippers, opps!!!

1 comment:

Andy Wyatt said...

This is looking good and it will a great resource in the future. Just remember to you ask yourself questions, so for example upload some work and ask what you would do to make it better the next time, what went well and what didn't go so well...like you have been but perhaps in a bit more depth.