Tuesday 27 October 2009

Experimental Animation

For the experimental project i decided i wanted to do something with paint or ink and drop it onto paper/card. I thought this would be a good idea as i could create smooth lines for calm music and splats for beats, so i thought this medium would give a wide range to what i could do. I also feel it would be fun and messy! =D I then went on to search for videos on youtube for examples of the style i want to try.



This was the first video i found and loved the technique of dropping ink into water mainly cause it looks pretty!!! and theres pretty shapes!! haha =) it also works really well to music. But someone did point out that its more film than animation (which i didn't really think of because i was too busy thinking PRETTY!) so not sure i could do it but maybe could blend it with a different idea. I do like the start of the film though where it just starts with splats which is more animation and the idea that i wanted to do.



Heres another video using the same technique. Still wanna try this even if i can't for the experimental animation cause it just looks so cool haha.



Then someone suggested to me to look at this music video, which im pretty sure was made on computer partly but i do like the idea of mirroring the animation and would like to include that in my piece.



This is an example of someone using paint on film. I like the use of colour and the start of the animation with just the lines moving across but i think it gets too busy from there on. But i like the idea of the coloured lines moving along and blending into each other and changing colour.



This video isn't very clear but its similar to what i want to do with the paint splats. I like the idea of reversing the effect as well so you could do it backwards so you start with the splats and end up with a blank page. I like how you see the progression as well.



This was created by adding coloured ink to oil. I think its stop motion because you don't see the person blowing into it, though think it could be created this way even if it wasn't. I think this would work well to music as well. I like how the colours expand gradually.



This is is someone using ink on wet paper and shows how you can use ink to show lines as well as just splats. I like how the lines gradually grow across the page.



I thought this stop motion was amusing but i mainly liked the painting part because you saw the paint brush doing the work (without a hand) which i thought was a clever idea and thought i could add that to my animation as well.



This is paint on glass and i think its a really effective technique. I like the parts where they wash the paint away as i feel that looks the most effective.

No comments: