Tuesday 20 October 2009

Week 2

Week two and its the return of the walk cycle!!

i want to try and make my character animation in 2d for a change but im gunna make the walk in 3d also just so i get back into animating and also if 2d fails i can use 3d =)

I started off doing my 2d walk cycle as i thought it would take the longest and i was reminded of a very important lesson that apparently i forgot on my first attempt which is.......NUMBER DRAWINGS!!! and the result was i got very confused and decided to start over lesson well learned!! (hopefully) so onto the second attempt.



the arms in this walk are way to flicky and need to be more fluid in movement also the arms and legs are moving slightly too quick so i will go back to my drawings and add some more inbetween drawings for my third attempt



The movement in this walk is a lot more fluid though now i feel i have gone to the other extreme and have made the walk too slow.

I then tried increasing the frame rate to make it faster but it made the movement jerky and ended up handing in my third attempt as i ran out of time. another lesson i learned make sure you make enough time to make your 2d animation especially if it goes wrong. I should have taken out some drawings to make the movement faster but i liked how fluid it was and didn't want it to turn out jerky =/ On my next task i will deffinately film and time my movements to make sure i get it right.

On to 3d and as i took more time on the 2d than i expected it did become a little rushed and have decided for my next task to just focus on one to get a better result.



The feet are very bad in this animation i feel as they became very slappy which i should have changed. I also don't feel i got as fluid a motion as i did with the 2d and he looks very robotic =/ The arms movement is wrong as well as they look like they hit a wall. I do like the shoulder movements in this animation though and i like how the head sways as he walks. I think i got the timing better in the 3d than in the 2d however i still feel that it isn't right but think that is because the animation looks so robotic.

After doing this task i am torn between 2d and 3d as with 2d i find drawing the animation can become tedious at times especially when you get things wrong and have to start over. However I feel a lot happier when i see the final result because i feel i put more work into it and its more exciting to watch cause you don't see it move till the end when you put the images together unlike with 3d. But i prefer the making part of 3d animation which is probrably because it is faster and easier to adjust, but don't feel as excited when i see the end thing.

Went to life drawing this week which was good to get back into and we started off with some quick sketches which i actually enjoy more now than the longer sketches.




















The proportions of these drawings i feel are very bad like the arms being too long or the legs too short though i think i drew the basic actions well. The weighting isn't too bad either.

We then draw a longer sketch




















The proportions again i feel could be better like his arms are too thin (bad drawing day). Though i do quite like the face in this drawing though it looks nothing like the model as he looks slightly italian haha. As usual need to improve hands and feet.

We then went on to do something different where we drew on each others drawings and the result of mine was this




















I thought it turned out quite good which i think is because you can see all the lines where people adjusted it which looks quite effective. I also liked kat's way of drawing with charcoal and pencil and will have to try that out with my own drawings.

From my session with kathy this week i was told to be more experimental so i used white pencil on black paper, chalk and charcoals for a change and these are the drawings for this week.


























































































































I found using the charcoal and chalks a lot more enjoyable and liked having more colour in my drawings so think im going to draw more in colour.

No comments: